AEDCE Member Spotlight
Maumelle Area Chamber of Commerce (MACC)
Alicia Gillen is Executive Director of the Maumelle Area Chamber of Commerce (MACC). A resident of Maumelle for 21 years, Alicia has been involved with MACC since 2012 and was hired as Executive Director in June 2015.
This is an exciting time for Maumelle. The City has seen explosive growth in small business development, increased opportunities in commercial advancement, and large-scale expansion with our industrial leaders. Under Alicia’s leadership, MACC has grown, and more than 200 new businesses have joined the Chamber. This is a huge accomplishment considering Maumelle was only incorporated in 1985 and is still considered a “new town.”
In addition to her work for the Chamber, Alicia also represents students and families as the elected official for the Pulaski County Special School District Board of Education. She is a member of the Rotary Club of Maumelle District 6150, a board member of the Little Rock Air Force Base Community Council and is President of the Central Arkansas Regional Alliance (CARA). She is also an advisor to and member of many local nonprofits and civic organizations in the Maumelle area.
Alicia resides in Maumelle with her three daughters, Shayla, Nicole, and Julia.
- Where were you born? Where do you live today? Born in Sacramento, California and live today in Maumelle.
- What do you love most about Arkansas? ARKANSANS! This state is filled with some of the most giving and compassionate people in the country. You never meet a stranger.
- Very few people know that … I’m a Sci-fi nerd. I love watching Star Wars, Star Trek and Marvel Comic movies.
- How would you describe Arkansas to someone that has never been here? The state is filled with so many beautiful outdoor options for recreation and entertainment. Within a few hours, you change your scenery and experience something new.
- What advice would you give to your 21-year old self? You don’t need to know what you want to be when you grow up. It is more important to be confident in the things you choose to pursue.
- The greatest risk I ever took was…? There are too many to mention…. but they are also some of my greatest accomplishments and biggest failures.
- What issues facing Arkansas, or your local community keeps you up at night? The delicate balance of strategically growing and advancing my community while keeping the small-town charm and character.
- Who would you most like to swap places with for the day and why? Oprah Winfrey. She is such a dynamic, talented, generous and compassionate woman. She has persevered to overcome such adversity to become one of the most influential women in the world.
- How long have you been in the chamber/economic development profession, and what do you like most about your job? I have been in marketing, event planning, management and public relations for 25 years. I never thought that I would end up in this profession. However, every experience I have ever had has prepared me for this career. I enjoy that each day is unique, and I have the privilege of representing the wonderful businesses and residents of my community.
- Best career advice I would give someone in the Economic Development or Chamber profession. Always have the ability to adapt and change direction……quickly!
President & CEO
Greater Bryant Chamber of Commerce
Jason Brown is President & CEO of the Greater Bryant Chamber of Commerce. In this role, he provides clear direction and visionary leadership toward the achievement of the chamber’s mission, vision, goals, and objectives. This includes working with and assisting chamber members in the promotion and marketing of the area. He is also responsible for the day-to-day operations of the chamber and for carrying out the organization’s bylaws, policies, and procedures set by the Board of Directors.
- Where were you born? Where do you live today? Born in Sheridan and live today off Colonel Glenn
- What do you love most about Arkansas? That we live in one of the most beautiful states in the U.S. There are so many things for the outdoors person to do in our states, from lakes to the woods.
- Very few people know that I… Scuba Dive
- How would you describe Arkansas to someone that has never been here? Arkansas is laid back state and everyone is friendly. It is a hidden gem.
- What advice would you give to your 21-year old self? Stay focused on what you want to do in your life and not what other people want from you.
- The greatest risk I ever took was…? Opening my own restaurants
- What issue facing Arkansas, or your local community keeps you up at night? We need to be building our current businesses larger and bringing in new business at the same time.
- Who would you most like to swap places with for the day and why? My son, I would like to see and know what he has to deal with on a daily basis as a teenager.
- How long have you been in the chamber/economic development profession? What do you like most about your job? I have been in this position since July but have been heavily involved with Chambers since 2008. I enjoy helping our members and our community network and grow.
- Best career advice I would give someone in the Economic Development or Chamber profession? We have two ears and one mouth for a reason, networking and learning from other people is the most important thing.